Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Perfectly Pretty Prom

It’s that time of the year again. No, it’s not the Christmas season, and it’s not even bonfire season yet, but it is time for Prom season! Leave Miss “Foxy Formal” at home, this week’s article is all about Miss Prom Princess! In a time when “short, tight and overly revealing” seems to apply to almost every dress on the market, this weekend, I was pleasantly surprised to see that many ladies have decided to adopt the classier, more sophisticated and overall chicer look for this year’s prom.


 The color palette of choice this year seems to be bright colors, such as turquoise, magenta and canary. While some might still feel a little shy about color after all these drab, grey months, May is the perfect time to embrace your inner Fauvist and unleash the brightest color your heart desires. What better time that to try it at Prom? A little daunting, I understand, but it’s surprisingly easy to find a bright colored dress and pair neutral shoes with it. My go-to places for dresses like these? Phoebe Couture for darling cuts in spiced up color combinations, Betsey Johnsons for some offbeat, quirky looks and BCBG Max Azria for their fantastic selection and spot-on trendiness.

Perhaps color blocking isn’t quite your style? I would try a fun print or a different texture on your dress than you would typically wear. Lilly Pulitzer is an excellent source for dresses that could pass for a luncheon dress, but also work as a fun, flirty prom dress. I’m particularly fond of their Regency dress, which has a navy background with massive daisies printed on it and basically yells “I’m a strong, confident woman with an eclectic side.” Flower appliqués, vibrant hues, and sizzling textures are some guaranteed ways to stand out from the crowd and be remembered (in a good way) at Prom. Some might be too shy to embrace the colors or the prints, but not you, Miss Fabulous Fashionista!


You will do quite the opposite. And why is that? First off, you will know how to pick the correct color for your skin tone. Confusion regarding this? Quick tip: check out your veins on your wrist. If they are blue-ish, you look best in cool tones, like blues and greens and purples. More on the greener side? Stick to the warm colors, like orange, yellow or pink. Decide you look fantastic in both a blue dress and a pink dress? Congratulations! You are one of the few lucky people who can pull off warm and cool colors. Embrace it! Find the color that looks good on you, but most importantly, makes you feel pretty, and go from there.

I have absolutely no doubt that you will fall in love with your prom dress for this year. When in doubt, remember the cardinal rules

1.Pick one area to show off. Love your back? Go for a backless dress with longer sleeves and a longer bottom hem.

2.Keep your hemline lengthy enough so your entire thigh is not exposed when you sit down.

3.Pick a color that works for you (see above) or your favorite color

4. Epitomize Coco Chanel’s saying, “A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous!” and wear a beautiful dress with an interesting detail and a classy cut.

5.Most importantly, buy a dress that you feel amazing in. You’ll look incredible no matter what, so no worries there, but it’s how you feel that you are going to remember.

I have complete confidence in you that you will find the prom dress of your dreams and have a magical evening. Adieu, my Prom Princesses!

P.S. Remember that pink dress from BCBG that I was absolutely in love with during Winter Formal season? Well, thanks to a 30% off sale and my babysitting money, I was able to finally get the dress of my dreams. And the best part? I felt like a princess!





No comments: