Friday, April 30, 2010

Pretty Pink Prom!

In honor of prom season coming up, I decided a special post on pretty pink prom dresses was in order! And, yes, yours truly just got asked to prom, so I was inspired to do an article about this!

First off, I am a fan of classy, elegant designs. No super short hemlines or revealing cutouts here! Pretty is the way to go. After all, when you're out of college and happen to stumble upon your old prom pictures, wouldn't you want to see yourself in a classy, pink little number with the caption, "Pretty In Pink" at the top, or look at yourself in horror, then shove the picture in the fireplace and burn it so no one will ever realize how skanky you were. Is there even a debate?

These are just a few dresses I came across, courtesy of Bloomingdales. My top places to go when I need a dress for an event are: Neiman Marus (If you go to the one in Newport Beach, CA, ask for Heity, she's wonderful), Bergdorf Goodman or Henri Bendel if I'm in New York, Bloomingdales online, and Nordstroms in the designer departments.

Those are just a few of the top department stores who have large selections, and most of their dresses are exquisite. Some other places to find lovely gowns are vintage stores (I'm especially fond of the vintage stores up in LA), flea markets, or other little shops. If you want a more eclectic dress, Betsey Johnson's designs are full of fun, pizazz, and a whole lot of glitter.

Speaking of fun, have fun with the color you wear! There are so many shades of pink out there! Shell pink, to coral, to fuchsia. The dress doesn't have to be pink, but there should be at least one pink accessory, whether it's your fabulous shoes, perhaps a brooch pinned to the bustline of the dress, or even a glittery hair pin. I usually wear black dresses because they contrast with my hair and skin tone (btw, I'm a light skinned blondie), and then add some snazz by wearing these gorgeous pink kitten heels embellished with pink stones. It also surprises people when I wear those shoes because they're usually expecting something a little more demure from little Miss Classic. Spice things up, and always keep people guessing, that's half the fun of it!

Shoes, shoes, shoes! I've had my fair share of shoes. Do I wear heels everyday of my life? No way! I live in flats. I love heels, but they are way to dressy for anything except special occasions. Putting on flats instead of your rainbow flip flops is considered dressing up and looking spiffy. I'll admit, I do have those days when I just throw on my white V-Neck (J. Crew, of course), jeans (I'm a fan of sevens) ,pink rainbows and sunglasses (Marc Jacobs) and dash out the door.

However, for prom, heels are a worthy investment. Actually, scratch that. Comfortable heels are a worthy investment. We all know the heels are going to come off by the end of the night, but why not be able to stand in them, walk around with them, party and dance with them before your feet are hurting so much, you just have to rip them off. I own a few pairs of heels: brown pumps, black peep-toe pumps, gold heeled sandals (to go with this years winter formal dress), and those fabulous pink ones! Keep in mind, all of these heels are no more than 3 inches tall. I love heels higher than that, but Mummsies is opposed to higher heels. They are all comfortable, and they were all relatively inexpensive and they are very comfortable! I tend to find great shoes at a relatively low price. However, never, ever, EVER buy cheap shoes. Ever. Does that sound a touch hypocritical? Yes, but let me explain: I find the heels usually on sale, so that is why they are not very expensive. I like Nordstroms and Steve Madden for heels.

If you want to spend more, say on those gorgeous black patent leather Laboutins, head straight to Neiman Marcus. They have a shoe collection that is to die for. Feathers, sequins, patent leather? check. YSL, Chanel, Dior? Check. They have everything.

Those are just a few ideas for some shoes and prom dresses. I'll put up hair and makeup tips, tricks, ideas, and the best places to get your makeup done soon! Hooray for prom season!

No comments: