Dearies, I'm not going to lie to you. Running is pretty tough. I don't know how marathoner's or 5k-ers do it, I've never really understood the concept of a "runner's high," which is apparently the amazing feeling you get while running but the only amazing feeling I've ever gotten while running is when I stop. I've got this crazed idea to run a 5k (that, and the fact I have to run 2 miles in under 20 minutes to pass my health class in the fall), and while some people can whip out a 5k as a "casual run" (my running friend's term, obviously not mine), this girl does not fall into that category.
Therefore, I've decided I need to start training for my 5k / 2 mi run to pass my health class. Slightly pathetic? Yep, but if I could run just lead out my door and bust out 3.1 miles no problem, then there wouldn't be anything to write about and you wouldn't get to hear about my remarkable first run. And, lets be honest, who doesn't want to miss that?
So... guess what I did 2 days ago and then again yesterday? I'm pretty sure you already know the answer to that. BUT what you didn't know, is that I did a jog/walk routine 2 days ago, with intense incline and a decently quick pace, just to sort of shock my legs into working hard again.
Side note, I should preface this and say that I have been going on "jogs" around my neighborhood. I thought I was jogging around 1 mile, .5 miles to the end of the street and .5 miles back. I was huffing and puffing by the end of it, but I was feeling pretty great and like the whole "run 2 miles in under 20 minutes" thing was going to be easier than I thought. Imagine my surprise when I clocked it, and it's only .5 miles total...
Which brings me to a treadmill 2 days ago. Normally, I can't stand gym's because I think they're boring, but I needed to see how far 2 miles was, and then potentially 3.1 miles if I could still move my legs after the pivotal 2 mile mark. Well, I am proud to say that two days ago, I managed to run / walk for 30 minutes. Then, yesterday, I decided my legs, physical stamina and mental stamina were up to handle the challenge. I ran for... wait for it... 2.37 miles in 35 minutes!
I did it! I ran continuously for over 2 miles! While this is not really that close to my end goal, it's a starting point. Honestly, by the end of those hard 2.37 miles, I was sweating and panting, but I felt like I had just finished first place in a marathon. I even did the whole "throw my arms up like a champion" bit for good measure.
Since I now know that I can actually run 2 miles, the next task is to try and make it to 2.5miles, then to 3 miles, then work up to 3.1. Once we've got the distance covered, we can work on speed. At least that's my plan. We'll see how it goes tomorrow morning when I tackle the treadmill once again.
Happy running!
2 comments:
So did you make it/pass??
inquiring minds need to know how this story ends!
Post a Comment