Darlings, I’ve decided to move to San Francisco after I graduate college (or potentially law school, if I go that route). I’ve always been infatuated by the city by the bay, and after my two trips up to San Francisco (one for Harvard Model Congress, the other just for fun), my little infatuation has turned into a full blown love affair. I don’t know if it is the incredible restaurants, the mysteriously alluring fog or the eccentric characters who roam the city, but whatever it is, I am hooked on San Francisco.
First off, the restaurants. For someone who says she doesn’t like food (I’m not kidding, I’m not anorexic, but, unlike the majority of Americans, I do not enjoy eating for the most part. There are some exceptions like salted caramel cookie bars and artichokes, but for the most part, food is just not super appealing. But, I digress…) when I find myself in San Francisco, I change my mentality from “I eat to live” to “I live to eat.” It’s embarrassing, really. The longest I went without eating something was an hour and a half. Ninety minutes! And that was with some serious self control. But, honestly, when buttery (and I do mean buttery) croissants are tempting you and the Zuni chicken has your name all over it, are you really going to pass that up? Not this girl!
San Francisco does have the best restaurants in the United States. Some may say New York is the king of the cuisine, but they are sadly mistaken. San Francisco is where it’s at. With little neighborhood bistros like Universal Café (2814 19th Street)and pizzerias that draw a cult following, such as Flour + Water (2401 Harrison Street), it is no surprise that San Francisco is the best of the best when it comes to food. Where else can you watch a foreign film in a courtyard while munching handmade pasta and pot de crème (Foreign Cinema , 2534 Mission Street), then five blocks away is Delfina, a restaurant that has just been named in the top 10 Italian restaurants in the country (3621 18th Street). While these restaurants are absolutely scrumptious, they really can’t compare to one particular café located at 1658 Market Street.
Zuni Café, also referred to as “The most amazing restaurant in the world,” “a hip joint with incredible food,” and, my personal opinion, “Heaven’s caterer.” My delicious desire for the food in San Francisco boils down to two words: Zuni chicken. The Zuni chicken is, without a doubt, the best chicken in all of North America, maybe even the world. The chicken at Chateau de Sulley in Normandie, France is the only other place that rivals Zuni’s chicken. Brined for 24 hours in advance, crispy skin and bread salad so delicious, it could be it’s own entrée. The bread salad has leafy greens, currants, pine nuts, crisp chunks of peasant bread seeped in chicken juice. It’s basically perfection. I look forward to eating this chicken (and the bread salad) months in advance. Basically, from the minute I finish devouring the chicken, I am already waiting (in eager anticipation) for the next time I go to San Francisco so I can have the Zuni chicken again. I’ve attempted to make the Zuni chicken from their cookbook (shockingly simple), but it just isn’t the same. It’ll do in a pinch, but it is definitely worth the 7 hour drive to have the real deal.
You know what else is worth the 482 miles? Seeing the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA for short). It’s got everything from Rothko to Matisse to Pollock, just to name a few. Start walking off the incredible food by taking a look at the Golden Gate Park or the Castro Theater. I'm assuming you've heard of a rust colored supsension bridge that extends across the harbor? I know Golden Gate Park sounds like a tourist trap, but it is absolutely beautiful. Go on any day of the week (except Monday) and observe the Conservatory of Flowers. The Castro Theater is just a cool throwback to the days when going to the movies was a big deal. They even have someone play the piano on specific nights before the show starts just to set the mood and harkens back to a time when going to the movies wasn’t just something to do, it was an event.
However, while these are fun things to do, my personal favorite thing to do in San Francisco (besides munching) is just walking around. Pick a neighborhood (like Nob Hill) to stroll around, and you'll find corner bistros, darling walk-ups and too many cars to count. I guarantee you, if you trek up a few hills and just walk through a few neighborhoods admiring the architecture, you will walk off your last meal. It’s basically a win-win situation, but, then again, so is being in San Francisco.
I think Paul Kantner had the right idea when he said, “San Francisco is 49 square miles surrounded by reality.” It really is the perfect place to be. It’s got the three C’s: class, culture and cuisine. And, in just four and a half short years, it’ll have me. Get ready, San Francisco. Once I arrive, I’m there to stay, in my little city by the bay.

No comments:
Post a Comment