Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Time is Here!

Steaming mugs of peppermint hot chocolate, secret Santa’s and holiday music on the radio. The feeling has finally sunk in: Christmas time is here! After a few family gatherings, some gift exchanges and one too many renditions of “Baby, it’s cold outside!” I have come to a conclusion. Amid all of the tinsel and trimmings, there is one thing that adults and children alike both wish for during the holiday season:
Presents.
Don’t deny, you know it’s true. Everyone wants presents. You can say Christmas has become too commercialized, or children nowadays are only interested in material goods, but there is something more to the present than just the actual gift. I’m not talking about the impersonal Starbucks gift cards here, I’m referring to the old fashioned “thoughtful gift.” The present represents a thought someone had for you. The gift giver needed to know you well enough to think of a gift you would like, then go out and obtain the gift for you. Gifts like these can be funny (like a creative cursing book for the potty mouth) to sweet (like a bow necklace with your initial engraved on the back).
But, there is a time when material gifts may not be appropriate. Next fall, I’m going to college and my parents are paying my tuition, so I really don’t want to ask for anything because I am so fortunate already. So, I decided that I don’t want any material things this year, which is the truth. I honestly just want three simple things. None of them cost a dime, but I’d really like them in the upcoming year.
Without further ado, here is my 2011 Christmas List:
1.       Extend my curfew to midnight
2.       One day where I don’t have to do anything
3.       Complete my senior list (but that’s another blog post…)
However, in light of the more traditional, commercial aspect of Christmas, I’ll include one thing I really want, but know I won’t get. At a cool $388, it’s not exactly a steal, but it’s more of just the “dream dress” for winter formal. It’s formal name is the “PolishedPlatinum Dress” but I prefer “Dream Dress.” It has everything I’m looking for, a classic silhouette, a beautiful color, wonderful quality, a flattering neckline, the belt hits right at my waist. Did I mention how the back plunges into a V? Classy with a drop of sexy if I’ve ever seen it. Dearest Anthropology, why do you tempt me with such a beautiful dress, but such a tough price?
from anthropologie
from aeva coutrure









Anyway, back to holiday gifts. Some gifts you forget, some are useful, but there are very few that are really memorable and have a impact on your life. In honor of all those secret Santa’s, holiday gift parties and hectic Christmas mornings, I’ve compiled a list of my top five gifts for Christmas:
1.       A plane ticket for a trip to New York City a few years ago with Mummsies
2.       Getting accepted to Wake Forest University (my top choice, and even though it happened a few weeks ago, I still count it as an early Christmas present)
3.       The Playmobile Royal Castle when I was 4
4.       A day of shopping with my Grandma
5.       A new board game or a new set of cards, because that means my family and I will spend the whole day playing it

Well, darlings, it is time to wrap up this post (get it? Wrap like a present?)  because I’m in the mood for more Parisian hot chocolate.  Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

No comments: