Last summer I took a chemistry class. Why am I telling you this? At one point during the class, my professor told us that chemistry has many practical applications. I raised my hand and asked, “such as?” He responded, “Baking. Cooking is science, but baking is chemistry in the kitchen. If anyone wants extra credit, bake something tomorrow and bring it in.”
Due to being a type A student and doing every single extra credit opportunity that has come my way, there I was in my kitchen at eleven o’clock that night, desperately trying to make French éclairs. Looking back, I probably should’ve chosen something a little less ambitious for my first real baking attempt. After three more desperate attempts at the éclairs, I gave up. I just decided to make a cake out of funetti cake mix and cover it with frosting from a jar.
In my flour filled tizzy, I discovered something: I love to bake. From that point on, I decided that I was going to start from that funfetti cake and work my way up to those disastrous éclairs.
This summer, I have been baking up a storm. I’ve tweaked some recipes I had baked last year, like the salted chocolate caramel cookie bars, and tried a bunch of new ones. My current favorites are:
1. Homemade Oreo’s (probably the most requested item by my friends and Mummsies for dinner parties. Recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-oreos-flour-bakery-cafe-399813)
2. Salted Chocolate Caramel Cookie Bars (the classic. Recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/343294/chocolate-caramel-cookie-bars)
3. S’mores Pie (when real s’mores just aren’t an option. Recipe: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/02/smores-pie/)
4. Salty Caramel Cupcakes (Labor intensive, but oh so worth it. Recipe: http://www.sprinklebakes.com/2010/05/triple-salted-caramel-cupcakes.html)
5. Buttermilk Biscuits with Cheddar and Chives or Gruyere and Thyme (the perfect breakfast biscuit. Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/buttermilk-cheddar-biscuits-recipe/index.html)
Another thing that I’ve noticed this summer is I’ve gotten bored with the whole “cereal for breakfast or maybe toast if I’m feeling extra adventurous” routine. That’s my school routine, and I wanted something different for summer. This has led to bacon scrambles, biscuits in the morning and even breakfast crepes. I’ve tried to vary up the mornings with fun things to eat. It even motivates me to get up before my usual wakeup time of eleven so I can wake up, make a yummy breakfast and get my day started. Honestly, the things a good breakfast can do for you!
Any suggestions on what I should bake next?
No comments:
Post a Comment