Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Yacht Jaunt

A few weeks ago, received an invitation. It said that I was invited aboard Sunseeker Superhawk 43 Yacht (more commonly known as the James Bond Quantum of Solace Yacht) this weekend. After I got over the initial giddiness of the situation (I don't know about you, but I am not asked on a frequent basis to go on a yacht jaunt), I thought of something very important: What should I wear? I instantly imagined myself in a darling little yachting outfit, a navy nautical dress with white and gold accents. Then I wandered into my closet and was jolted back to reality. I have nothing that is a navy nautical dress. I have a few things that could give the essence of the idea, but I didn't want to appear too "done". Another aspect to keep in mind is the pesky weather: It's June, which means it's hot at some points during the day, then June Gloom crawls in and casts a misty marine layer over everything, making the temperature drop by about twenty degree's.


My first instinct was to reach for the Lilly Pulitzer catalogue to find the perfect outfit. Wow, was that a good call! Personally, I love to add pizazz to my outfits, and with these Lilly Pulitzer pants, it's just like a never ending party! The patterns and colors are enough to brighten even the gloomiest June days. I love the patterns, however, if you are a little afraid of all that color (i.e you don't like pink and orange flowers all over your bottom half for what ever reason), I would also say stick to the classic white shorts and fun, patterned top (be sure to keep a sweater, scarf and blanket nearby just in case the weather turns). A few wonderful options of these pants and shorts are:

Lilly Pulitzer Pants:










I created a few options that still capture the essence of a carefree jaunt on the yacht yet are still pulled together and look fresh and effortless. However, in regards to the weather, I came up with one key phrase to keep in mind: layering



My go-to items for layering include J. Crew sweaters (typically navy) and scarves. Layering is a key element when it comes to dealing with Southern California weather, especially in June. You might be rocking that fabulous orange skirt and ruffle tank top, but if it's drizzling outside, you'll just look like you're freezing cold. And believe me, looking like an ice cube is never cute, especially in June. So, layers!! Sweaters (sometimes more than 1) are wonderful ways to either dress up or dress down an outfit. One particular sweater I know I will be living in this summer and next year is the "Piped and Twisted Cardigan" from J. Crew's new collection. It's DARLING!






The best part is about all of these outfits is you can take any piece, whether it's the crisp white shorts or the hot pink and orange flower capri's and pair them with a tee, polo, top, or sweater and they'll all work! Take those white shorts and pair them with a patterned top, like this:

A crisp nautical navy and white striped top would look fresh and polished when paired with white shorts and brown Sperry's (see Hello Summer blog for more on Sperry's). Those fabulous pink pants would look smart with a white polo or tee and sweater. The most important bits about this look are:

a) trying to stay warm as soon as the sun goes down

b) everything in moderation. For example, hot pink pants and an aqua chiffon confection? Not so much. But hot pink pants and a white polo? Perfection

c) effortlessness. It should look as if you look this fabulous anytime and are always prepared and up for going on a little yacht jaunt.


Whether it's the cute white shorts and brightly patterned top or the flowered pants and crisp top, you'll look fabulous on any yacht jaunt. Bon Voyage!

No comments: